Friday, March 16, 2018

Spirit of Truth - How to Resist the Devil


Spirit of Truth

When we admit our sin and turn away from it, Christ’s love lives in us by the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Truth! (John 17:3 NLT)

To be in God’s word daily is important…why?  As a follower of Christ – A Christian – we become pure and holy through believing and obeying the word of God…do I believe that?  Am I a real Christian?

 For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires. (Hebrews 4:12 NLT)

How can I obey God’s word, if I do not know what it says?

My Crossroad

When I come to a crossroad in my life, with a choice I am to make, sometimes I feel like I am on my own, like I need to make an immediate decision. If I am armed with the world’s habit of thinking, Satan’s agenda, I may choose to lie, to save face, to make an excuse or to justify my self-centered behaviors – Have you ever lied in such a situation?  I have.

Or, I may see something small, an object that I desire, and I take it – justifying to myself that I deserve it or that it is okay just because I want it…Have you ever stole something?  I have.

Or, I may participate in laughing at other’s behaviors or short-comings, to make myself feel larger, better, or more superior than they are…Have you gossiped about others? I have.

As Jesus said in John 17:14,

I have given them your word. And the world hates them because they do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world.

  • ·         The world hates Christians
  • ·         The world follows Satan’s agenda
  • ·         Satan is the enemy of Jesus


Satan’s Plan

Satan’s plan is to plant doubt about God’s word, to discourage me by encouraging me to focus on my problems, rather than looking to God; by diversion, so that the wrong things seem attractive to me; to make me feel like a failure, so I give up easily; using all of this – so I will delay moving forward in God’s ways, word, and wisdom.

But it is hard to find the time to read scripture, it is hard to change my willful nature…
What is God’s will for my life?

God’s Plan

By applying God’s word daily, we can experience the purifying effect on our minds and hearts. We can turn to God to transform our thinking. Scripture points out our sinful ways through God’s word, His ways, and wisdom, which motivates us to:

  • ·         Confess our ways and self-centered sinful nature,
  • ·         Renew our relationship with Christ,
  • ·         Guiding us on the path of everlasting life.


Jesus Explained in Mark 14 – How to Resist the Devil
  1. (verse 34) Keep Watch – Stay awake and morally vigilant.
  2. (verse 35) Continually talk with God, to pray in all situations – This is how to maintain vigilance.
  3. (verses 33,37,40,41) Seek support of friends and loved ones. This is how we build up our resistance and help others; when one is weak, others are strong!
  4. (verse 36) Focus on the purpose God has given, this is how we do God’s will and not our own, in this life.


(verse 35-36), While praying, Jesus was aware of what “doing the Father’s will” would cost Him – enduring the horrible physical pain and spiritual separation from His Father, this is indicated in His words:

He went on a little farther and fell to the ground. He prayed that, if it were possible, the awful hour awaiting him might pass him by.  “Abba, Father,” He cried out, “everything is possible for you. Please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.”

Yet, in my own life, I am surprised when I am facing pain, I get angry at God…

Jesus experienced all the human emotions that we experience in our storms and struggles. He showed me how to be obedient.

How to Do This

By calling out to Jesus, trusting Him with our true feelings, then turning toward Him. God is wanting us to depend on Him. He is willing and wanting to forgive us; to restore our relationship with Him, as we admit our sin, and begin to “adapt to our adoption”.

  • ·         Accept I am a new creation in God
  • ·         Look for the “You do” commands in the Bible and apply them to my life!


This is how we learn God’s will for my life!


Rita Shipman, MCC
480-861-4487


Rita is a Christian Counselor who is seeking to grow in understanding and knowledge of God's word, "to be reasonably happy in this life, and supremely happy with Him in the next". (
Serenity Prayer).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interested in hearing your experience!

Habit of thinking - Good habit or bad?

Habit of thinking - Good habit or bad? He sat down, called the twelve disciples over to him, and said,  “Whoever wants to be first must ...

Popular Posts