Monday, March 12, 2018

Follow Jesus' Lead Against Satan's Plans

Follow Jesus' Lead Against Satan's Plans

In Mark 14: 36 NLT - Jesus, while praying, was fully aware of what doing the Father's will would cost Him.  He understood the suffering He was about to encounter, He did not desire to endure the horrible experience, however, Jesus prayed, "Yet I want your will to be done, not mine".

How many times, in my life, have I seen God's goodness come out of my temporary pain?  I fell into Satan's plan of temptation, I had doubt, and I delayed doing as God's word had instructed me to do, I felt defeated and alone. But then God brought other opportunities for me, different choices, which when I followed His way, turned for my good. (This I could see in hindsight, not at the time of my journey.)

Satan's Plan to tempt us causes:

Doubt - to make me question God's word and His goodness.

Discouragement - to make me look at my problems rather than to God.

Diversion - to make the wrong things seem attractive, so I will want them more than to be pleasing to God.

Defeat - to make me feel like a failure, so that I do not even try - I give up easily!

Delay - to make me put off doing things to move forward, so it never gets done.

Jesus explained how to resist:

  1. Keep watch: (Mark 14:34) Stay awake and morally vigilant,
  2. Pray to God (Mark 14:35) This is how to maintain vigilance
  3. Seek support of friends and loved ones (Mark 14:33, 37, 40, 41) This is how we build up our resistance and help others; when one is weak, others are strong,
  4. Focus on the purpose God has given us (Mark 14:36), This is how we do God's Will, and not our own.
Remember, Jesus understood the suffering He was about to encounter, He did not want to experience separation from His Father, "Yet, I want your will to be done, not mine".

Disobedience is sin, and it breaks our fellowship with God. However, God is wanting and willing to forgive us and to restore our relationship with Him, when we admit our sin.

God offers us salvation, as He defeats Satan and willingly gives us everlasting life with Him!

"When you are tempted, He will show you a way out
so that you can endure." (1 Corinthians 10:13 NLT).

So many decisions and choices Lord, help me to do what you bring before me, for me to do; to walk into the opportunities you have for me to encourage others in your name. You are the one who knows what is good for me, I put my trust in you.

Trust in Him, His Word, His Way - that is His Will for my life today!

Mark 14:33-41 (NLT)

33 He took Peter, James, and John with him, and he became deeply troubled and distressed. 34 He told them, “My soul is crushed with grief to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.”
35 He went on a little farther and fell to the ground. He prayed that, if it were possible, the awful hour awaiting him might pass him by. 36 “Abba, Father,”[a] he cried out, “everything is possible for you. Please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.”
37 Then he returned and found the disciples asleep. He said to Peter, “Simon, are you asleep? Couldn’t you watch with me even one hour?38 Keep watch and pray, so that you will not give in to temptation. For the spirit is willing, but the body is weak.”
39 Then Jesus left them again and prayed the same prayer as before.40 When he returned to them again, he found them sleeping, for they couldn’t keep their eyes open. And they didn’t know what to say.
41 When he returned to them the third time, he said, “Go ahead and sleep. Have your rest. But no—the time has come. The Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners.

Rita Shipman, MCC
480-861-4487

Rita is a Christian Counselor who is seeking to grow in understanding and knowledge of God's word, "to be reasonably happy in this life, and supremely happy with Him in the next". (
Serenity Prayer).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interested in hearing your experience!

Habit of thinking - Good habit or bad?

Habit of thinking - Good habit or bad? He sat down, called the twelve disciples over to him, and said,  “Whoever wants to be first must ...

Popular Posts